10.08.2010

Italy's Lunch Program... Wow!

The hub-ub continues about the quality of food in U.S. schools and it's effect on one of the heaviest populations in the developed world. For perspective, I would like to show you the lunch program in Tortellino's school.  We live in Italy, not far outside of Rome- each province and region has it's own menu depending on the traditions and ingredients of that region.

For Tortellino's school, there are two menus a "Summer" and "Winter" which cycle on a 5 week schedule. Each meal consists of a first course, second course, side dish, bread and fruit. This is not slop on a tray, they (including kindergarten) receive ceramic plates with real metal implements to eat with.  You will see that each week is marked on top in Roman numerals, and the day of the week is written on the left in yellow. Oh, and most kids eat everything on the menu. Really. (click on it to enlarge, or scroll down for the translation)

The food , and it's preparation, is under strict control by a mixed panel including parents, administrators, cooks and government officials.



I will translate a typical week for you....

Summer Menu Week IV:

Monday
Lasagna
Tuna
Spinach
Bread
Fruit

Tuesday
Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce
Roasted Turkey
Carrots
Bread
Fruit

Wednesday
Tortellini in Tomato Sauce
Mozerella
Baked Potatoes
Bread
Fruit

Thursday
Pasta with Butter and Parmesan Cheese
Oven-Roasted Chicken
Tomatoes
Bread
Fruit

Friday
Saffron Risotto
Potato Egg Frittata
Salad
Bread
Fruit

If there is genuine interest, and it would be useful for you, I will gladly translate the whole thing and also post the Winter Menu.

Now, what are your kids eating?




1 comment:

LakeConroePenny,TX said...

Thank you for reading my blog.
I notice on yours that you have the date so that one doesn't know if it is the European way or the American way!
I immigrated to US in 1963, and it still confuses me, so I write the day in numbers, the months in letters, and have it that way on my blog, too.

I really like this, and your other blog, Hip Pressure Cooking. Both very informative, so I shall be checking back.

I was in the Italian Dolomites for several weeks, but I hadn't realized how careful the schools were about feeding their children properly.

Most of the problems here in the US, are caused by too much processed food, the way beef is doctored up, sugar, High Fructose Corn Syrup and the sweeteners they use in sodas. It doesn't only affect the body, but also the mind.

Happy Trails, Penny, TX