6.16.2010

20 minute lentils - via pressure cooker

I have gotten such an enthusiastic response to my pressure cooker recipes that I posted this one, and many more new ones, on my new blog dedicated to pressure cooking. Come and visit hip pressure cooking... and make a pressure cooker recipe request, or post your own!


Bright, tasty, al-dente lentils.  My sister said it best after tasting this recipe, "Wow! This is not mom's brown mushy lentils that we were forced to eat.  I like lentils now!"  And so will you.
I found this recipe on cucinaericette.it, translated, converted and adapted it for U.S. and European cooks. I like to serve these lentils as a main dish on top of polenta, or basmati rice, with a swirl of unfiltered extra virgin olive oil and a little chopped parsley or basil on top. From start to finish, this recipe will only take you 30 minutes!

Pressure Cooker Lentils
300 gr. of lentils, or 11 oz. or a heaping cup (not pre-soaked)
1 stalk of celery, chopped (use it all from stem to leaf)
1 medium green pepper (not red, it comes out strangely sweet!)
1 medium onion, chopped
1, 400g or 8 oz. can of chopped tomatoes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
1tbsp of curry powder (optional)

Add a dash of olive oil in your pre-heated pressure cooker and soften the onion, celery and pepper. When the whole mix is softened, add a can of chopped tomatoes. Stir well and add salt and pepper and the optional curry to taste. Now, add the lentils into the pan. If the lentils were a heaping cup, then you should add two of water. After adding the water, stir and close the pressure cooker and raise the flame to high until it starts to hiss. At this point, put the flame to low and wait 20 minutes. Then, open your pressure cooker by releasing the valve.

serves 4



3 comments:

Maya @ Completely Coastal said...

This looks so yummy. I love lentils and use them in salads also.

Thanks so much for the links!!! The driftwood screen from apartment therapy is awesome. I guess I need to follow there, they might have more summery, beachy things coming up.

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

Kirsty said...

I'm veg and this sounds great!

Linus said...

Four sliced chicken breasts, curry, turmeric, and cumin added to this recipe makes a nice one pot meal.