3.23.2010

Worst catalog photo ever!

One cannot live in Europe without running into one of Otto Group's mail catalog businesses. I was introduced to BonPrix via our new friends and have been relatively satisfied with their products and quality. With my new order I got their new catalog with a very puzzling photo...

Now.. who on earth would try to sell you curtains with the picture of a crying bloody child?!?! But that is not all, lots of thought went into staging this photo including posing the woman, which I would presume would be the mother, calmly talking on the phone and explaining to her crying child how to wrap gauze around his wound.



As you can see from the scan from the whole page, on the top left, they are capable of creating small vignettes that make sense like the mom and daughter playing through semi-translucent curtains .



But the photographer art director, designer, and the person who laid out this catalog and contrasted the red blood with the green curtains should be.... FIRRRRRED!

Links to this post:

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh Laura - you need to post the next page where it shows the mother spanking the kid for bleeding on the white carpet over her new leather sofa....

Anonymous said...

nice blog!

by the way, it's "fired".

elle pee said...

thanks anonymous! I had just watched "The Cat in The Hat (2003)" movie with the kids so I wrote it as I heard it. But... for the sake of clarity, I have put the correct spelling for "fired."

Kel said...

Maybe it is supposed to be depicting her on the phone trying to order stuff from the catalog? I know every gosh darn time I get on the phone my kids flip out into over-dramatic mode (ala soccer boy in the photo).

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? I'd buy anything from a catalog with this sense of humor.

Federico said...

I think that's brilliant, would definitely buy those curtains.

Anonymous said...

It's probably not the photographer's fault. I shoot for catalogs and there are teams of art directors and designers behind each and every shot. We photograph what they come up with, not really a choice. The boy's painful grimace is certainly disturbing!

ecuadoriana said...

Ha hA HA ha !!! This is hilarious beyond words!!!

Yeah, mom is so Zanenex out that she just keeps yakking on the phone- probably arranging an "appointment" with Sven, her "massage therapist/yoga instructor"- so cool and calm that she still keeps her legs crossed while instructing Little Jan to try to bleed a little less on the new carpet.

But, oh right, this is an advert for curtains....

Meanwhile Little Jan is yelling "Call a f**king ambulance, mommy dearest!"

Federico said...

That green is exactly a "dontcareevenifmysonisbleedingonthefloorandcrying" kind of green. I find the photo perfectly fitting.