10.05.2007

Knock, knock! Who's there?

For the last few weeks, I've been hearing a construction sound in our house. It's always when hubby is not home and Tortellino is sleeping. We live in a stand-alone home so... where could this be coming from and more importantly, who or what was making the sound.

"Pound, pound, pound! Tack, tack, tack, knock, knock!"

I traced it to the roof of our sun toom. At first, I got the broom stick. I made scary sounds with it, thworing handle up against the ceiling. And whoever, or whatever... pounded back.

?!?!?!?!?

Not having any windows directly to view the top, each time, I clumbsily climbed up to the skylight clink, clanking my way and would see nothing.

Hmmmmmm....

The next day, "Knock, knock, pound, pound, tack tack!"

I realized the window from the stairwell has a semi-obstructed view of the roof. I tip-toed up the stairs and quietly slithered my way onto the window-sill.

"knock, knock, kno... oh ohhh" the crow saw me and flew away.

After seeing our little soundmaker, I realized that the roof of our sun-room, made of that wavy-type material is the perfect place for crows to open walnuts:
  1. The crow would either bring or find an existing nut.
  2. He would deposit it in one of the folds, to hold the top and bottom of the nut,
  3. Then, he would straddle the nut blocking the left and right sides of the nut and start banging with his beak.
"knock, knock?"

No comments: