4.28.2005

Overstimulation: the new frontier for babies

I've been slowly piecing together the requisite baby registry in anticipation for a Baby Shower a friend is throwing for me. And, one of the things that has really shocked me is how many birght lights, sounds and toys manufcaturers are now attaching to just about everything.

What ever happened to those simple little walkers that were just a seat, a hoop and a cuple of wheels? Or what about a high-chair that was just a high chair... for eating? Or the stroller that was just for tranpsorting?

No, it now seems that these baby regalia are no longer useful for making a small child fit in an adult world - but made to stimulate, educate and otherwise annoy children at every step.

Seriously, what are we doing here? What ever happened to pushing a kid in a stroller and pointing out the migrating geese -- why would the baby ever look beyond his immediate environment when he's got plastic yellow duckies stuck to his storller that squeal when you squeeze them to entertain him at every turn!

For your amusement... and my shock, here are some of the baby items I've come across...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Why bother walking? There are so many things nearby why bother going anywhere else?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I'm surrounded! No matter what direction your baby looks in there's a toy to hit him on the head, foot or stomack. Who cares what's beyond the mat if evrything you need is right there!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Who cares about the migrating geese mom is pointing out? They don't light up when I squeeze them.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Why go to sleep when I have all this fun stuff twirling around and making noise?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Imagination? Who needs that when anything I would care to think about is right here?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Why can't I play with my food? BTW, where is there room for my food?

5 comments:

ieatcrayonz said...

The only thing you really need is the swing. I promise.

FriendlyGuy1212 said...

Very nice blog, hard to come by these days,

Look at this site I saw while surfing Sign Language for Babies site


Thanks

Jim Naka said...

Hi, I was just blog surfing and found you! If you are interested, go see my big boy toy related site. It pretty much covers big boy toy stuff. I guess you may find something of interest.

Jkimbo said...

Enjoyed your blog! I have bookmarked it.
toddlers

Anonymous said...

Informative blog you have here. Here is mine health news