6.27.2003

where, exactly is the end of the line?

I've been taking a bus to work for the last two years. When I first showed-up at the bus stop and the first bus arrived it stopped in front of me, so I got on. A lady yelled at me "can't you see there's a line?!?! The line forms from the sign "forward" and after that, I paid close attention and only got on at my appointed time.

But now, a new driver is on the route and he has threatened to disrupt this orderly world of communting rules and regulations. Instead of stopping with the front door of the bus near the bus stop sign (the beggining of the line) he stops at the end of the line.

As the automatic doors open with a soft pifffffffffff you hear soft gasps of shock. All commuters pause and hold their breath while examining each other's face as they struggle to remember if you were the one who reprimanded or the one who needed reprimanding to enforce the line.

Time begins again and 15 adults hastily re-arrange themselves so that the first one who arrived at the stop can get on the bus first.

We've had this new driver for the last two weeks and he's been stopping in the same spot (end of the line) but the dynamics of the line have not changed-- so we go through the above-referenced ritual each morning.


No comments: